NAEYC, the National Association for the Education of Young Children, the accreditation body for both the GPS Preschool Program and Little Log Schoolhouse, has created a helpful site full of information on the development of young children. http://families.naeyc.org/
The American Academy of Pediatrics- A great site for information on the the health and development of children. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/Pages/default.aspx
The U.S Department of Education offers information including back-to-school guides, information on how parents can support learning, and resources for children with special needs. http://www2.ed.gov/parents/landing.jhtml?src=ln
Helping Your Preschool Child http://www2.ed.gov/parents/earlychild/ready/preschool/part.html
Helping Your Child Learn Math http://www2.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/math/index.html
Helping Your Child Become a Reader http://www2.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/reader/index.html
Links for health and wellness:
Activities in and around town
2-1-1 Child Care is a confidential and free child care referral telephone service in Connecticut – just dial 2-1-1.
- Griswold Preschool Program, Located in Griswold Elementary School, the Griswold Preschool is an accredited program through the National Association for the Education of Young Children. NAEYC is the nation’s largest organization of early childhood professionals. Accredited programs have demonstrated a commitment to providing a high quality program for young children and their families. The Integrated Preschool Program is designed to provide quality preschool programming, as well as special education services, to our three and four-year-old children in Griswold who are eligible. Call GES at 860-376-7610 for more information.
- Griswold Child Development Center
Located in Griswold High School, 267 Slater Avenue, the Early Childhood Development Center accepts infants from 6 weeks to 5 years old. Their hours are 7am to 4pm and can accommodate up to 16 children (8 infants/toddlers and 8 preschoolers). They offer part-time and full-day slots and have current openings. For more information, contact Nancy Duda at 860-376-7619.
- Little Learners, TVCCA, Located in Griswold High School, 267 Slater Avenue, the TVCCA Little Learners Early Education Program is NAEYC accredited and accepts children from 3 to 6 years old. They offer a sliding fee scale for tuition and have part-time and full day programs. They have both School Readiness and Care-4-Kids slots. To learn more, call 860-376-7054 or visit http://www.tvcca.org/services/education/littlelearners/index.shtml
- Little Log Schoolhouse, Located at 242 Bitgood Road , Little Log Schoolhouse is NAEYC accredited and offers preschool and day care programs, both full day and part time. They accept children ages 3 to 10. They can accommodate up to 20 children and have both school readiness and Care-4-Kids slots. Their hours are from 6:30am-6:00pm. They currently have a waiting list. For more information call 860-376-4975.
- Love 2 Learn, Located at 129 East Main Street in the 2nd Congregational Church, Love 2 Learn is a new program run by experienced practitioners that have provided early childhood care in Griswold for many years. They accept children ages 3-12 and offer part-time or full day programs. Family discounts available. Call Holly or Karen at 860-376-1122 for more information.
Please note that Children First Griswold provides this information as a resource only and does not endorse any particular childcare provider.